Wednesday 9 March 2016

The journey of a positive pregnancy test, to twins in a nutshell


21.03.2015 - The day I found out I was pregnant
Me and my husband Dan was over the moon once we found out we was going to become parents, I was picturing all of the fun things we'd do as a family, going crazy looking at baby clothes, itching to tell family and friends and hoping I was going to be a kick ass mum and smash it. I was never the maternal type though, I would never dash across a room to ooohhh and ahhh over a baby or volunteer to hold on. I'm okay, honest. But when the time was right, I wanted a baby so bad and we fell pregnant quickly. I'm very grateful.


Routine 12 week scan
When we went for our routine twelve week dating scan, I sat down nervously waiting to see our little nugget for the first time clenching onto Dan's hand tightly and trying not to wee myself. We are first time parents so to me this was quite a big deal! The lady performing the scan simply looked at us both and said "I'm just going to come out with it, you've two in there it's twins". 

The rest of the scan is a bit of a blur, if I wasn't pregnant I would have gone home and destroyed an entire bottle of gin. I was overwhelmed, shocked in the sense I felt like I'd been hit by a train but already in love, the raw unspeakable form of love for my two nuggets. I'm pretty sure that my husband shouted at her & I swore at the lady who said that she had twins herself and was trying very hard to lighten the mood during the rest of the scan.




Announcing the pregnancy was so much fun! We were newlyweds and all of our friends expected it and kept asking us when we were going to have a baby (pretty annoying guys) so telling them that we were pregnant, but with two was a delight to still be able to shock them. My pregnancy was very smooth apart from nausea (die die die) and boob ache, so bad they felt like they'd endured hours in a boxing ring. I didn't feel like a human until I was about 20 weeks, then it just got worse as I got bigger. Bigger as in I was the size of a small yacht. I discovered I could eat as much Nutella as I wanted though and not feel sick (may have put on a stone and a half, but who's counting).


14.05.2015 - The day we found out it was two boys
It's routine for multiple pregnancies to have more scans to monitor the growth so I had to go every four weeks and eventually every two weeks. At my 36 week scan I was advised to be induced the following week due to static growth. Not a chance was I prepared to push two out, especially when there's about a 50% chance that twins are born via c-section anyway, plus I'm not that hard. So I requested a planned c-section that was granted for the following week.

Preparation at home was already done for the babies (I already knew that I was having two blue). The day came on 4th November 2015 and we drove to the hospital first thing in the morning, I was utterly shitting myself with nerves but so excited to finally be introduced to my twin boys.


First picture together
After a quick and smooth labour I was back on the ward with my babies. Henry was born at 16.12pm weighing 5.8lbs and Hugo born at 16.14pm weighing 5.2lbs, both babies were in excellent condition and didn't require the Neonatal Unit (we was warned they might be required to go here). Our lives literally changed in minutes.

The hospital stay was lovely, it was when we got home we was faced with the fact we have two newborns. What are we suppose to do with them? How often do I bath them? Will they like to watch Prison Break with us? My friends who already had children were harassed with questions for the first couple of weeks until we got into a routine. I am no baby expert but I can handle my shit pretty well now.

I gradually began to feel more confident and when they were three months I felt like the mama guru. They change day by day, me teaching them new things and them me. They test me, they've changed me and my god, they've completed me. I would kill for my children (that still sounds foreign, my children) and the love for them is indescribable.

xoxo

Next: Read about my baby shower 

No comments:

Post a Comment